Ukraine: Deputy Head of Country Security – Dniepro – Ukraine
FIXED TERM | 12 MONTHS | as quickly as possible
Established in 1993, ACTED is an international non-governmental organization pursuing a dual mandate of emergency response and development interventions in 40 of the world’s most vulnerable countries affected by conflict, disaster or socio-economic hardship. With a team of 7,000 national collaborators and 400 international collaborators, ACTED implements 500 projects per year to support more than 20 million beneficiaries, especially in hard-to-reach areas.
ACTED goes to the last mile through programs and approaches that go beyond the immediate emergency to longer-term livelihood reconstruction and sustainable development opportunities. Guided by the motto “Think Local, Act Global” and its 3Zero strategy – Zero Exclusion, Zero Carbon, and Zero Poverty – ACTED puts local territories at the center and provides support tailored to local needs.
ACTED began operations in eastern Ukraine in 2015 to provide support to vulnerable people affected by the conflict that began in 2014. In 2022, as refugees flee clashes across Ukraine sparked by military operations, ACTED is now expanding its activities to provide essential assistance to displaced people in the main host areas and to support self-help groups and local organizations that have spontaneously formed. As the number of civilian casualties continues to rise and damage to critical infrastructure increases, ACTED is stepping up its humanitarian assistance to help ensure that people in transit, internally displaced or remaining in hotspots receive the basic support they need, including cash assistance, water, food and hot meals, blankets, hygiene supplies and access to mobile heating points. Finally, ACTED is also participating in the ongoing efforts to provide humanitarian aid to refugees in the neighboring countries of Poland, Romania and Moldova where 3 Humanitarian Response Teams have been deployed.
You will be in charge of
The Deputy National Security Officer is the primary security and safety focal point overseeing an area of operations for an ACTED mission. He/she reports directly to the Country Security Manager and the Country Director. He/she is responsible for day-to-day security management, risk and trend analysis and an advisory role to the area coordinators on the ground in his/her area of intervention. He works with the Country Security Manager for consolidation of countrywide analysis, contingency planning and trend analysis, as well as monthly reporting.
Departmental Direction of its geographical coverage
Context and risk analysis
Develop and update SOPs and contingency plans for its area of intervention
Daily security management
- Adapt crisis management protocols to the local situation;
- Act as a key member of the crisis management team so that security policies and procedures are implemented;
Training and briefing
- Organize a security briefing for each new international staff arriving in the country;
- Design security training modules for Country Director approval and HQ approval;
Develop and maintain a security network
Expected skills and qualifications
- At least 2-3 years of work experience in insecure environments; preferably in Africa, Asia or the Middle East;
- Extensive experience in security management and procedures;
- Demonstrated communication and organizational skills;
- Ability to train, mobilize and manage international and national staff Flexibility and ability to multi-task under pressure;
- Ability to work well in volatile and frequently changing security environments;
- Willingness to work and live in often remote areas under basic conditions;
- Proven ability to work creatively and independently both in the field and in the office;
- Advanced command of written and spoken English;
- Knowledge of local language and/or regional experience highly desirable.
- Salary between 2400 and 3100€ monthly (before income tax), depending on the level of studies, the level of security, etc as well as a monthly living allowance of 300$
- Accommodation and catering provided in ACTED guest house
- Pension, health insurance, life insurance and repatriation assistance (& unemployment insurance for EU citizens)
- Flight tickets every 6 months and visa costs covered
- Participation in the transport of luggage: up to 100 kg, depending on the duration of the contract
- R&R every 3 months, airfare covered up to $500 and $200 stipend
- Annual leave of 25 to 43 days per year
- One-week pre-departure training at ACTED HQ, including 3-day on-site security training
- Tax advice (free 30-minute call with a tax advisor)
- Psychological assistance
How to register
Please send your application (CV and cover letter) by email (email@example.com), mentioning the reference: DCSM/UKR
Please note that ACTED will never charge a fee for the recruitment process.