Head of Cathedral Office – Episcopal News Service
Reports to: Dean, Trinity Episcopal Cathedral
Hours: 40 hours/week mainly at the cathedral office; schedule to be determined in collaboration with Dean.
Paid overtime may be required during church vacation periods or during special events.
Compensation: Range from $18.00 to $23.00/hour depending on experience, plus an additional benefits package.
Job Classification: Not exempt
Position summary: The Director of Cathedral Office (OM) works with the Dean, Cathedral staff and Cathedral Chapter to manage the activities of the Cathedral, primarily in the areas of office management, facilities management, personnel management, strategic planning, event management and communications. OM provides general office and staff support to parish, staff, cathedral chapter, congregation, and committees, to support the mission and ministries of Trinity Cathedral. OM will be a support and resource person for members and non-members and a welcoming and responsive presence in the Cathedral office.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Welcoming disposition and willingness to serve all who come to Trinity Episcopal Cathedral
- Effective communication skills, including strong writing and grammar skills
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Strong organizational skills, including ability to manage workload and take initiative
- Proficiency in the Office suite and experience using MailChimp, WordPress and database applications
- Must pass a background check, attend anti-racism class, and maintain “backup” certificates.
- Some ministry experience, whether paid or unpaid (preferred)
- Some knowledge of the polity of the Episcopal Church (preferred)
- Provide a welcoming and helpful presence at the Cathedral Office
- Respond to requests for information and resources via email, phone, and in-person visits
- Establish and maintain relationships with the Cathedral congregation and diocesan leaders
- Provide administrative support to the Cathedral Chapter and various committees (i.e., prepare and distribute documents, schedule meetings, etc.)
- Maintain vendor relationships and coordinate with vendors as delegated by the Dean and the Buildings and Grounds Committee
- Place orders for supplies and equipment as required and authorized
- Produce lists, correspondence and other documents, including monthly volunteer lists, annual reports, transfer letters, records requests, parish reports, etc.
- Sort incoming mail and assist with mailings from the Cathedral
- Maintain and manage the cathedral calendar
- Maintain columbarium records, including overseeing the sale of niches, purchasing urns, engraving the faceplate, coordinating family and funeral home, and columbarium policy and procedures
- Provide support to the Financial Administrator and Chapter Committees as needed
- Additional tasks added by the Dean
Information Management and Communications Support
- Develop and maintain a functional system of communication with the parish
- Maintain church records, including financial, membership, diocesan, physical, and other operational data
- Produce reports, directories and other documents from parish registers under the direction of the dean, cathedral chapter and committee direction, in a timely manner
- Coordinate the parish calendar to facilitate use of the building by authorized internal and external groups
- Produce and distribute weekly e-news and a monthly parish bulletin via email and regular mail
- Assist in the preparation and distribution of marketing materials, as directed
- Ensure posted signage is updated regularly to reflect current events and activities
Digital management and support
- Oversee and maintain the church’s online presence (website and social media pages, online advertisements, etc.)
- Monitor Cathedral computer network hardware, software and contracts with technology vendors
- Assist in the preparation and verification of worship materials and bulletins for Sunday morning and other services
- Collect, consolidate and prepare the prayers of the people for each Sunday in collaboration with the clergy
- Prepare typed announcements for each Sunday service for celebrants
- Prepare information on flower donations and Christmas and Easter flowers and musical memorials
- Assist in the coordination of lectionary and ministry schedules
- Assist in the recruitment, coordination and scheduling of volunteers as needed under the direction of the Dean, Clergy and Committee leadership
- Assist in the coordination of special events
- Produce and distribute various volunteer schedules in consultation with Cathedral clergy
Event and hospitality support
- Develop and maintain a functional system for hosting events at the Cathedral
- Oversee and manage the Cathedral events calendar, with the aim of increasing the number of events held at the Cathedral
- Oversee events at the cathedral, including managing necessary staff and volunteers
- Communicate regularly with clergy, staff, and sexton regarding facility-related needs, including set-up and cleaning for special events
- Coordinate the parish calendar to facilitate the use of buildings by authorized internal and external groups.
- Act as the primary resource person for the planning, facilitation and organization of Cathedral events
- Coordinate with Cathedral staff, volunteers, and patrons to manage billing, staffing, and specific event needs
- Create and assign access codes to outside groups, volunteers, and new staff as needed. Keep a register of key codes. Maintain and distribute cathedral keys as needed