Covid-19: Orange Ballroom, manager fined for organizing 3 wedding receptions on the same day with 235 guests
When more distant SLA ambassadors conducted checks on January 30 of this year, they observed three wedding receptions taking place there:
- For the first, 62 guests attended the banquet from 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- For the second, 73 guests were present from 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- For the third, 60 guests were present from 4.30 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Back then, a maximum of 100 people were allowed to attend a wedding event, while up to 50 people were allowed to attend each time slot.
Osman also allowed 18 guests to attend multiple wedding receptions that day, when only the wedding party, including the bride and groom, could.
Authorities investigations revealed that late last year the couple contacted Orange Ballroom and spoke to another staff member who reported to Osman.
She offered a list of packages, which indicated that her premises could be booked for events of 100 to 1,000 people, and told them they had to organize multiple functions with breaks in between.
At the time, Osman asked staff members that Orange Ballroom could host events for 1,000 people.
In September of last year, the couple signed an agreement with Orange Ballroom to rent its premises for 300 guests.
Osman approved the reservation and allowed his subordinate to accept it knowing it violated existing regulations, the court said.
Days before the wedding, Osman invited the couple to a reunion and asked if they could extend their reception, which was initially scheduled from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., to 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. It was so that the premises could be disinfected.
The couple agreed to extend it until 6 p.m.
Osman did not tell the couple to reduce their guest list to 100 and did not give the “ballroom captain” – who was responsible for making sure people obey the distancing measures of security – specific instructions for guests.
The reception being divided into a few sessions, 18 guests attended the different sessions that day instead of just one.
Following the discovery of these breaches, authorities ordered Orange Ballroom to close for 20 days from March 22 to April 10 of this year.
Osman, who was not represented by a lawyer, said in mitigation that Orange Ballroom did not hold any receptions from April to August last year due to the pandemic and had to reimburse nearly ‘half a million dollars to affected customers.
The company also spent at least S $ 25,000 to move more customers to other locations during its latest shutdown, he added.
Those convicted of Covid-19 offenses can be fined up to S $ 10,000 or jailed for up to six months, or both.